In 1937 Ernest Straker had shown James Money the ironworking sites in Minepit Wood and exhorted him to excavate them. He began to dig the Romano-British site in 1963, followed by the medieval one, the first of that period to be excavated in the Weald.
A report on these excavations can be found in J. H. Money, ‘Medieval Iron-Workings in Minepit Wood, Rotherfield, Sussex’, Medieval Archaeology, 15 (1971), 86-111.
The annotations to some of the photographs are by James Money, intended as captions to illustrations for the published report.
We are grateful to Tunbridge Wells Museum, where the archive for this excavation is deposited, for scanning these photos for the WIRG Photo Archive..